Any experience deploying melonJS games on Mobile platform using Capacitor?

Hi Guys,

With Cordova basically being discontinued, does anyone has experience in using Capacitor with melonJS yet? or other alternatives for Cross Platform Mobile Development ?

What about React Native? Read more here

You can also use droidscript , it works like corodova visit Droidscript Website

1 Like

Hi Olivier,

I haven’t had time to work on the games recently as I’ve been working on my legal tech apps. However, I do not agree that Cordova is dead. If you look at Blog - Apache Cordova there are still regular updates and in fact Cordova Android 12.0.1 was just released in August 2023.

That said, I am going to try out Capacitor soon but unfortunately there is a bug in my preferred framework quasar that prevents me from using Capacitor with Yarn 3 so once that is resolved I think I’ll be trying Capacitor for my next project [capacitor/yarn] Duplicate workspace · Issue #16110 · quasarframework/quasar · GitHub

indeed, the initial post was coming from this announcement actually : Announcing Apache Cordova Retirement in App Center - App Center Blog

I agree, but many of us who develop in Cordova don’t use VS App Center anyway, VS Code and the Cordova CLI (as well as using Android Studio and Xcode when needed) is probably way more popular.

yes you are right, and same here !

I’ve just taken a look and DroidScript doesn’t seem compatible with Melonjs. DroidScript doesn’t use a normal canvas / WebGL and has it’s own game library. The only way I suppose you could use it with Melonjs is open a webview and point it to a website but that is quite pointless (with Cordova at least all the assets will be local and you can access native functionality but the website in the DroidScript web view won’t be able to do that). Also, it cannot deploy to iOS and as far as I can see it’s APK builder plugin does not create AABs.

I don’t know (or don’t remember) why it’s not documented, but you can actually pass a canvas object itself to the video/renderer (melonJS: Settings). This was added back then to support WeChat as they were creating their own canvas object.

Just wondering if this would work with DroidScript (I haven’t looked into their API)

Today I finally managed to deploy a debug build on Capacitor.

Wish me luck!

1 Like

Awesome, and good luck !!!